Friday, January 9, 2009

One in every color

I will never wake up with perfect hair. It is wild. I will never wear white and keep it that color come sun down. I know these things and accept them. I am me.

What does it take for one to accept themselves? Do mistakes make our fate? Without them what would shape our lives? After all, things change, people come into our lives and they go. How comforting to know that the ones you love are always in your heart. Luckily, maybe only a phone call, plane ride or road trip away. Maybe the best any of us can do is not quit. Play the hand we are dealt and enjoy it.

Growing. God made the grass to grow. So should we. It is a great concept. Like Ms. Claudia, my old neighbor for 2 years. She was fun and 87. She once told me that she learned something new about herself everyday. I hope we all learn something about ourselves daily. It is good to know who you are. It is good to love the skin you are in. It is even better to love the shoes on your feet. Especially, if they are glamorous!

Throw on someone else’s shoes for a day. This will impact your life. I threw on a different pair of shoes one day. She was sick and scared. I'll never know what it is fully like to have those shoes laced tightly onto my feet, but I could imagine. I felt her pain, sorrow then joy. An impact I'll never forget. Different shoes help to form a relationship. You may never know the person or see the person again, but you were comfortable enough in your shoes to slip into theirs and not judge.

Relationships. There are those that are old and familiar, those that bring you somewhere unexpected, those that open you up to something new, those that bring up tons of questions, those that bring you far from where you started and those that bring you right back. The most exciting and challenging relationship of them all is the one you have with yourself. Leaving the most significant relationship to be the one you have with Christ.

I have a sweet, shoe loving friend. One of her favorite sayings is: It is a fact, sometimes it's hard to walk in a single woman's shoes. That's why we need really special ones now and then to make the walk a little more fun.

Enjoy shoes in 2009!

No comments: